Parenting 101


Sunday morning's message I learned about how to raise a delinquent child.  Yes, you read that right.  How to raise a delinquent child.  We were given 21 ways to be sure that your child will become a delinquent.  In case you wanted to know here is the list:
1.  Compare your children to each other and make sure they know it
2.  Show favortism
3.  Don't listen to them
4.  Constantly discourage them with your words
5.  over protect
6.  never show compassion for their feelings
7.  have high expectations for them
8.  push them for high achievements.  Live the life you wanted through them.
9.  make sure they feel unwanted ("you were a mistake")
10. never allow them to be childish
11. always stay too busy to spend time with them
12. withhold affection
13. abuse them verbally
14. abuse them emotionally
15. abuse them physically
16. show them disrespect
17. never admit you are wrong
18. don't keep your word
19. devalue their opinions
20. be a hypocrite
21. don't discipline at all

When I asked my 16 year old son which one of the above I did the most he said, "I'm not sure, but I'll tell you when you do it!"

In my 23 years of parenting, I'm sure I've managed to do everything on the list.  But praise be to God that I did not "habitually" practice them.  
I thank God for my children.  They are wonderful, God-loving people.  I  give God all the credit as I messed up in soooo many ways.

Go ahead, if you dare, and share this list with your kids and see what they think :)

Comments

  1. What a great list and a great reminder of what's most important. I am so guilty of being too busy...and I needed to be reminded that NOTHING I am busy with is as important as my little lady.

    Thank you :)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Following from the blog hop. Hope you can follow back.
    God Bless,
    Shelley
    http://mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

CANDID COMMENTS
If you stop by
PLEASE COMMENT