Because He Loves Me written by Elyse Fitzpatrick is all about the gospel and God's love. Does that make you yawn and say, "I know all that!" ? The author begins with very challenging questions. Ones like:
- What does His transforming love mean to you today?
- Are you more focused on your performance for Him or His for you?
- At the end of the day is their rest in your soul because of Him, or is there guilt and a determination that tomorrow you are going to "do better"?
- Do you still feel the need to prove that you are "not all that bad" ?
- Can you describe how Jesus has transformed your DAILY life?
Beginning with the story in Luke 2 of Mary and Joseph leaving Jesus behind in Jerusalem, then frantically searching for him when a day later they discover he is no longer with them. And taking 3 days to finally find him. Elyse asks us to compare ourselves to his earthly parents. At salvation we joyously celebrate Jesus, but as the days go by we go back to our Nazareth without a conscious awareness of Jesus in our day to day lives. We spend so much time trying to live FOR Him, that we forget HIM.
She states: "We love to remember him at Christmas and Easter. We adore Him as the baby in the manger, we rejoice over the empty tomb. But aside from these 2 seasons, our attention is primarily focused on us, on our performance, on our spiritual growth."
Think about it.....
Do you view salvation as Jesus' work but living the Christian life your work?
That, my friend, is the million dollar question...
what is your answer?