Birthdays....there are mixed emotions with that word. When we are children we welcome these days, counting down until it arrives, but as we age, well, let's just say that the counting down and excitement fades as the number rises.
When I turned 40 I didn't want to acknowledge that it was true. I told my family that I didn't want to do any celebrating. I wanted to just ignore the fact, which, of course, didn't make it go away, I still become a 40 year old woman.
The decade of 40 was not my best decade....too many unwanted changes began to take place. For me, the 40's was a time of change & readjustment, neither of which I deal with very well. About half way through my 40's I decided I was going to CELEBRATE 50!
I informed my family I wanted a BIG celebration at 50. Family, friends, food, presents, games, laughter--- FUN! And boy did they deliver!
So here I am now a 50 year old woman. (AARP has already called. :/)Today I want to share 50 years of blessings....for me, that is tough because I am a 'glass half empty' type of girl. Too many years of that, time to be a 'glass full and over-flowing' girl!
So here's a list of my overflowing glass:
- I have a Savior who loves me even when I am most unlovable.
- I also have a husband who has stayed with me for 30 years, even though I am hard to live with.
- A husband who has provided for his family without complaint
- A husband who loves God more than anyone or thing
- God gave me FIVE fantastic children
- 2 of my daughters have added 2 super fabulous sons-in-law that I love like my own
- In 2013 I am going to be a grammy....a title I have coveted for YEARS!
- All my children love God
- I grew up with parents who stayed together for 50+ years
- My parents gave of themselves every day (a fact I only realized when I had children of my own)
- They raised me in the church where I learned about Jesus
- In-laws that I enjoy spending time with
- My father-in-law and mother-in-law who stayed together
- Who raised a son with an amazing work ethic
- Many friends who have shared moments of my life with me
- Online friends who I've never met
- The lifelong friends who will always be there for me.
- I have never gone without anything that I need
- I have been blessed with way more than I need
- a place to live and lay my head at night
- a warm house during the cold winter
- The medical 'scares' I have had that have been only that....'scares' that changed me from the inside out
- dark chocolate
- the ability to learn new things
- my Ipad
- Olive Garden
- the beach
- vitamins and herbs
- green drink
- modern conveniences like a washer/dryer, dishwasher, central vac, oven, fridge. I would not have wanted to live 100 years ago
- my Bible
- The comforting fact that God is in control of everything around me
- radiant heat
- glasses the help these aging eyes
- a vehicle that can take me to visit my children
- An extended family that is growing every year
- The different stages of life that have molded me and keep molding me into the person God wants me to be
- A patient God who will never give up on me
- the ability to get out of bed every morning
- good health
- a confidence that my dad is no longer in pain but singing with Jesus
Yes, I am a very blessed 50 year old!