I was introduced to the teachings of Norman Geisler many years ago when our Pastor did a DVD series in Sunday School by Mr. Geisler called
I enjoyed his straightforward manner more than his choice of sweater :) Seriously, he is a man who tells it like it is. He takes the challenges that many offer against the Bible and turns them around to make the person challenging seem foolish to even consider such an outrageous idea. I remember chuckling many times while viewing these DVD's.
This newest book, Reasons for Belief, is basically some of the DVD information in book form. Mr. Geisler joins up with Patty Tunnicliffe to give easy-to-understand answers to 10 essential questions.
Let's look at chapter 10 where Jesus' resurrection is discussed. The challenge is:
Jesus did not rise from the dead
Here is the problem:
If Jesus did not rise from the dead, he is a false prophet and we cannot trust him, for he predicted his own resurrection. The New Testament writers claimed they saw the risen Jesus, If he did not rise from the dead, we cannot trust the New Testament either.
The critics give 5 explanations as to why they say that Jesus did not rise from the dead...
- Someone else died in his place
- Jesus only fainted on the cross, he didn't actually die
- The disciples had a mass hallucination
- Somebody moved or stole the body
- Jesus organized a resurrection conspiracy plot
Here is part of what is stated against explanation 1:
How could Jesus' mother and closest friends who were there not know the person on the cross wasn't him? No other man would go to the cross and not be screaming, "you've got the wrong guy!" Consider also the penalty for any Roman guard who made such a mistake. Everyone involved with the death of Jesus had their own reasons to be absolutely certain it was really him on the cross. The Jews, the Romans, the soldiers, Pilate, even Jesus' own friends and family (who were right there at the cross) were all convinced it was Jesus who died there that day.
All I can say is the answers he gives are logical, reasonable and just plain make sense.
Here are the 10 challenges answered in this book:
- Real Truth does not exist. Truth is just truth to you. (I love how he talks about this one!)
- God does not exist
- If God exists, He isn't necessarily the God of the Bible
- Miracles don't happen
- The New Testament's many errors make it unreliable. It's more like a collection of myths and legends.
- Jesus never claimed to be God
- Jesus didn't prove He is God
- Jesus did not rise from the dead
- The Bible isn't the only true religious book
- Christianity is too narrow. There are many ways to God besides Jesus
Let's live out 1 Peter 3:15:
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...
Enter below to get this book or order your own at Christian Book Distributors for only $9.99.
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for my honest review.