The Lies of Full-time Christian Ministry

Many years ago I attended a high school graduation at a Christian School.  A young lady from the church I attended was graduating. I overheard this comment about her as I was walking into the building........


"Isn't it great that she is going to go into full-time ministry?"


My first thought as a wife and stay-at-home-mom was...."What?  If she was going to marry and have kids she's not in 'full-time ministry'?"

Sadly, this person believes the lies.


A few months ago a new wife asked for prayer because she felt that she wasn't serving God because.....

 she wasn't in full-time ministry

Sadly, she believes the lies.



Recently someone told me that they couldn't pursue a serious relationship that may lead to marriage because.......

they wanted to go into full-time ministry

Sadly, this person believes the lies.


Do you believe the lies too?  

The lies that tell us that 'full-time ministry' requires you to
  • go to the jungles of Africa because that is where full-time ministry is
  • go to seminary or Bible School because you need special training for full-time ministry
  • become a pastor or missionary because they are the only ones in full-time ministry
  • teach in a Christian School because only a 'christian' vocation is full-time ministry
and the list goes on and on.  I'm sure you've heard some yourself and believed it too.  I don't fault you, I used to believe these lies too.  When that is all you hear at every missions conference you attend, every time someone says they have been 'called' to full-time ministry,  every rally at high school from Bible school representatives, every picture of that starving child without God....it brings ups the picture of 'full-time' ministry.   

No wonder why so many are 'Sunday morning Christians'....why bother being more than that if what they were doing on a day to day basis wasn't considered 'good enough'. 
  
I remember many times I felt that false guilt when I believed the lies because I was only a wife and mom.  Thinking to myself that I wasn't doing anything for God.  I don't remember when my mind set changed, when I realized that my HOME was my mission field...that my FAMILY was my full-time ministry.  When I stopped believing the lies and started embracing the truth the guilt was gone and I was free to serve God where He called me!  

Consider this instead:



Anyone who has a heart attitude to serve God in everything they do is in full-time ministry! 

I have to admit that all too often my heart attitude wasn't one that would be considered serving God.   Just ask my kids....they often bring up the time I told them that living with them was like living in h**l.  Ummm...yea, not a servant's attitude at all, huh?  

So if you are ONLY a wife, ONLY a stay-at-home mom, ONLY a business person, ONLY a Sunday school teacher, ONLY a cashier, ONLY a nurse or any other thing you can think of....remember this:  


YOU ARE IN FULL-TIME MINISTRY  

God has called all those who call Him Savior and Lord into full-time ministry.  BUT remember only when you are doing what He has called you to with the right attitude are you truly serving Him.

Stop believing the lies and start living in the truth.  

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  Colossians 3


Comments

  1. So true! I remember a friend who put her family- hubs and three kids- on the back burner to devote herself to a 'full time ministry.' After a few years, she realized that she already had a full time ministry at home. She talks a lot about that now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

CANDID COMMENTS
If you stop by
PLEASE COMMENT