Remembrance Quilt




When my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer in April of 2011, it was very hard to hear that he would only be with us for about another 6 months.  At the time, he and my mom were in Florida.  They were planning on spending the summer with us in Vermont.  I prayed that God would give us a good summer together.  


After he left his earthly body on November 21st, I had to remember to thank God for allowing us to spend the summer together.  


Later, my mom asked me to make a quilt using dad's flannel shirts.  I agreed.  Never realizing how hard it would be :/  


The box of his shirts sat in my sewing room for about 2 months tucked away under the table.  I knew I would have to get to that project sometime.  I questioned why I agreed to do this.


Finally the day came when I bravely opened the box and pulled out his shirts.  Taking them out one by one I was flooded with memories... and the tears came as I began to cut them apart.  Once again it hit me...my dad doesn't need these anymore and he never will! 


 BUT one shirt I just couldn't cut.  


Ya know in movies when someone would take a loved ones clothing, smell it, embrace it and cry?  Well, I always thought that was really lame----who really DOES THAT?  


Ummm.....me, I guess I really do that.  It really DID smell like him (mom, did you send me unwashed clothes?.....always have to mask the feelings with a bit of humor :/)  


Realizing that I wasn't going to get this project done standing over his cut-up shirts crying like a baby, I once again thanked God for my dad---prayed for help to finish this quilt for my mom and continued on.  


After a couple of hours figuring, measuring, wondering how I was going to get this idea in my head to work, I finally had a plan and began to make a "Remembrance Quilt" in memory of my dad and with love for my mom.  


Rag Quilt 

The finished product isn't quite what I had pictured, but was made from a daughter to her mom in memory of a man they both loved deeply, yet in different ways.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY 
MOM!



Comments

  1. It's wonderful! Beautiful! Fantastic! I love it! I'm so glad you did this. I know your mom will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

CANDID COMMENTS
If you stop by
PLEASE COMMENT